Natural regenerative substances exist all around us, especially at the farmers market and grocer store. The foods you choose to eat are among the greatest regenerative substances that you can use for better health!
This article is going to share with you some science based foods you can use to support tissue regeneration, but first.......
WHICH OF YOUR TISSUES CAN BE REGENERATED?
Starving off dis-ease and slowing down aging is part of a relatively new field named Regenerative Medicine.
All living organisms naturally regenerate to maintain the health and integrity of tissues and organs. Some organisms are more efficient at this regenerative process, there is more than one example of this in the animal kingdom. The Mexican Salamander for example can regenerate new limbs and organs!
Humans also exhibit some level of this ability. Our liver, for example, has the ability to regenerate to previous size and function after becoming damaged.
6 years ago my father underwent a live liver transplant with my mother. My mum ended up donating 70% of her liver to my dad! Within 18 months, my mother's liver regenerated to normal size and function, incredible!
Here are 5 foods that can support tissue regeneration -
1. GREEN TEA contains polyphenols that have powerful brain cell protective effects that may assist in the treatment of neurodegenerative diseases. The more well-known of these plant super compounds is Epigallocatechin 3-gallate or EGCG, found to improve the lifespan of nerve cells and promote new growth.
2. BROCCOLI AND BROCCOLI SPROUTS contains sulforaphane, a known nerve growth stimulating compound. Even at low levels it can be significantly proliferating to nerve stem cells. Sulphoraphane also supports your genetics to encourage the growth of new brain cells.
This powerful compound is also found in kale, Brussels sprouts, cabbage and cauliflower.
3. CURCUMIN is the primary anti-inflammatory and antioxidant found in the bright yellow spice Turmeric. Curcumin is one of the most well researched natural compounds on earth, and promotes the growth of nerve, pancreatic and liver cells.
It is difficult to get these therapeutic effects via the consumption of turmeric alone, that is why supplementation is a wonderful option. Be sure to select a curcumin supplement that contains the black pepper compound piperine, as this increases the absorption of curcumin by 2,000%!
4. ROYAL JELLY is produced by honey bees for their queen bee. It has been shown to be beneficial to human health in many ways, for example, improved production of red blood cells and supporting mental health.
Royal Jelly contains a unique fatty acid shown to promote brain cell creation!
5. LION’S MANE MUSHROOM stimulates the creation of specific growth factors that play a role in the survival and regeneration of brain cells. Supplementing with Lion's mane has been found to improve brain function in people with mild cognitive impairment.
Lion's Mane also stimulates the growth and repair of nerve cells, whilst stimulating nerve myelination, which can benefit people with multiple sclerosis.
Later this month we will look into some science based Lifestyle Strategies that can support health and healing!!
Enjoy your week, and joyful shopping!
Simon Brazier. Dip HN, NNCP